It was my turn for Sunday Supper last week and I was not in the mood. I’ve been both mentally and physically drained from teaching lately and cooking a fancy dinner was last thing I wanted to do on a Sunday. Thankfully, I have a bunch of go to super easy meals that still seem fancier than grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup.( I could really go for a grilled cheese right now) This stroganoff is one of those meals. From first chop it takes about 30 minutes until you’re ready to serve, my kind of meal.
Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Stroganoff
- 5 oz Shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 4 chicken boneless thighs cut into bite size pieces
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 shallot thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 8-10 oz sour cream (start with 8, if you want more volume of sauce add a bit more)
- fresh parsley
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- In a medium bowl combine chicken, paprika, smoked paprika, salt and pepper.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large pan and over medium heat. Add mushrooms and cook stirring occasionally for 5 minutes or until slightly browned. Remove mushrooms to a plate and set aside.
- In the same pan, melt the remaining tablespoon of butter and cook chicken, 4ish minutes per side. (It should want to be flipped, if it’s sticking wait a bit longer.) Add shallot and continue cooking for another 3 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, give it another minute or so and return mushrooms back into the pan. Add sour cream along with Dijon mustard, cover with a lid and simmer on a low heat for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the parsley and serve over egg noodles or rice.
Recipe adapted from Lavender and Macarons.
Easy peasy Sunday supper or weeknight meal. Add a nice glass of wine and maybe some crusty bread, yum!