We had our first plowable snowfall last night! With all of the twinkle lights and holiday decorations the fresh fallen snow makes everything look magical. With the snow, cold weather and winter around the corner this creamy tomato bisque will be a perfect addition to your winter soup file. Add a side salad or a grilled cheese and you have the perfect snowy day meal. Did everyone eat grilled cheese and tomato soup when they had a snow day home from school? I feel like that was the mandatory menu.
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 1(28 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 1(46 ounce) bottle/can tomato juice
- 2 bay leaves
- 1(8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1 pint light cream
- salt and pepper
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Melt butter in your pot, add in the onions and garlic sauté until soft.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato juice, and bay leaves; simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Remove the tomatoes with a slotted spoon, reserving the juice, and puree them in a blender or food processor with the cream cheese.
- Mix the puree with the reserved juice.
- Add the light cream and season with salt, pepper, and lemon juice.
- Simmer for a few additional minutes, remove bay leaves and serve.
This is one of Andrew’s favorite soups, I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!