It’s been so cold and snowy in Maine lately. I all want to do is sit on the couch wrapped in a blanket. A girl’s still got to eat though! This soup is perfect for warming up to on those cold days. It comes together easily, making it ideal for busy weeknights or a lazy Sunday supper.
Creamy Sausage and Potato Soup
- 1 lb. hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups reduced sodium chicken stock
- 4 yellow potatoes, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 4 cups of chopped broccolini or chopped kale
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Warm a Dutch oven or 6-quart pot over medium-high heat.
- Add Italian sausage. Cook, stirring occasionally and breaking it up into smaller pieces, until sausage is browned and cooked through.
- Remove sausage with a slotted spoon and set aside. Drain most of the drippings from the pan, leave about a tablespoon.
- Saute the onions and garlic in the remaining drippings until soft. Add wine and cook, stirring and scraping browned bits from the pan.
- Add the chicken stock, potatoes, salt, and pepper.
- Boil until the potatoes are fork-tender, about 15 minutes.
- In a small measuring cup or bowl mix together the softened butter and flour until you have a smooth paste, add one ladle of warm broth from the pot. Stir to combine and add into the soup.
- Add broccolini/kale, cook until tender, 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in cream and season.
Serve with some crusty bread or solo. It is SO yummy. I didn’t take any pictures of this soup, I was too excited to dig in. Trust me though, it’s worth making even with out the picture for inspiration. (I’ll add one next time I make it)