Snow day number 5! January is only about halfway over and at this rate we’ll be in school until July☹ I honestly don’t mind though, I love this gift of an extra day home to binge Netflix and enjoy kitty snuggles. After a few hours of Reign, (please don’t judge me) I decided to put some older bananas to good use. Chocolate Chip Banana Bread is one of my favorite things to have with tea or coffee on a snowy day. You can make it without the chocolate chips of course, but why would you want to? I had shared another favorite Banana Bread recipe on a snowy day last year but I when adding chocolate chips I prefer a recipe without buttermilk.
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread adapted from OMG Chocolate Desserts
- 3 ripe bananas-mashed (about 1 and 1/2 cups)
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter-melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg-slightly beaten
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips + more to sprinkle on top
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8 x 4 inch (or a larger) loaf pan with parchment paper leaving extra overhang the sides.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda and salt, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas with a fork until smooth.
- Stir in melted butter, then add sugar, vanilla and egg and whisk well.
- Add flour mixture a little at a time and whisk until smooth.
- Finally fold in chocolate chips.
- Spread the batter into prepared pan and sprinkle some chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer on a rack to cool completely.
Enjoy warm or at room temperature. Peanut butter spread on a slice is delicious 😊